US-INS Crew members Aboard Private and Commercial Vessels

There are two types of crew members. 

  1. Crew members use C1/D visas for working on a chartered or commercial vessel that receives payment from passengers. (Does not apply to U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents of the United States.)

  2. Crew members use B1 visas to operate privately owned vessels and vessels chartered for personal use.  Crew members using the B1 visa must have residence and employment* abroad which they do not intend to abandon.

*Crew members paid to operate a private yacht may also use the B1 visa without the employment restriction.

A private yacht or vessel is a vessel that does not charge passengers for transportation.

A foreign port is any place not in the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, or the Virgin Islands of the United States.

Do you have any questions or comments?