US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
Coral Bay Labor Day was Tops
The place to be yesterday was Coral Bay St. John where the annual labor day parade and festivities were the best in years. There were four entries in the parade and they had to tramp up and down the street. Residents said it made them long for the old days and that this was the real St. John.
Chess Champs to Armenia
Our Chess Champs are going to Armenia. Ten members of the Chess Federation will be traveling to Yeravan, Armenia on Sept. 13 to participate in 32nd Annual Chess Olympiad playing against 1500 other chess masters from all over the world.
Cruise Ships Cancel
Two cruise ships have canceled over concerns with high seas here. The Sensation and the Century are going to other ports. Both cruise lines say they will return to St. Thomas on their next cruise.
The Department of Tourism has a new head of the bureau of economic research. David Edgell has appointed Dan Inveen to direct the Bureau of economic Research. The Division is the governments sole economic analysis unit and serves many needs in the Virgin Islands.
Finance Committee Meets
Senate Finance Committee is meeting on St. Croix for a continuation of the budget hearings. Today’s agenda includes the Officer of Management and Budget and the Public Finance Authority and a review of the special funds.
The Senate passed a bill to put intercom systems in the schools. $200,000 to insure that all the schools have public address systems and communication tools to link each classroom to the front office.
Good News Weather:
Today we should some clouds and a 60% chance of a shower. High of 90 and wind from the south at 10 to 15 We’ll watch the weather map for you, OK.
On the Calendar:
- Addelita Cancryn Junior High School PTA is meeting this evening at 5:30 at the school library.
- Water Haulers are meeting with DCLA at Juan Luis Hospital at 6PM. St. Croix Adult Education registration is going on now. 778-2216
- Veterans, attention Anthony Hawkins of the Center for Minority Veterans will visit St. Croix today to discuss Veterans benefits. That’s at Juan Luis Hospital 5 PM
- Caribbean Chorale will resume rehearsal today at 7:30 at Charlotte Amalie High School Music Suite. New members can come for Voice placement on Sept. 10th and on Sept. 17th.
- Project HOPE has an afternoon tutorial program at the Lutheran Church of the Reformation beginning at 3PM Call 775-1022.
- St. Thomas St. John St. Croix Federation of Teachers will hold a back to school news conference At 10 Am at Victor’s New Hideout
The University of the Virgin Islands is holding a phonathon from Sept. 3rd to 6th and they need your help. Each evening this week you can place some calls to fellow alumni and help the universities recovery from Hurricane Marilyn. You can help UVI make some good news.