US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
Scratch Edouard, Fran and Gustav – Take the Day Off
Goodbye to Edouard, Fran and Gustav. All three are off the Virgin Islands chart. The next tropical wave coming off Africa isn’t a storm and is NOT a threat now. Enjoy Labor Day without wondering whether the roof will be there tonight. Vitelco is closed, same for government offices and banks. Most stores are open.
Labor Day Messages
Labor Day is traditionally a day that working people can review their success. Glen Smith, of the teachers federation, took the occasion to say there were no smiles on the faces of working people. Central Labor Council President Morales said there was little to celebrate.
In his message to the people Governor Schneider pointed to the new jobs, the rebuilt hotels, the visits of the Navy, and initiatives to bring new business with new jobs. The Governor commended Ralph Mandrew for his diligent efforts on the part of labor and his ability to engage in a strong fight as a gentleman.
Turn on the Lights.
The Dept. of Energy has given the Virgin Islands approval to spent 3 million of new energy efficient lighting for public sporting facilities. The Governor said that the public ball fields are seriously underutilized due to the absence of lighting, so this is a most welcome addition to the parks.
The Senate passed a bill to put intercoms in the schools. $200,000 to insure that all the schools have public address systems and communication tools to link each classroom to the front office.
Dog Days of Summer
Two of the K-9 dogs who work on St. Croix with the police are retiring after years of service and hundreds of missions. Gero and Borg are retiring but were on display on Saturday at a fund raiser to get more police dogs. The police say the dogs are better than a gun in apprehending a criminal, and the police thanked the public for supporting the K-9 Dog patrols.
Good News Weather:
Today 50% chance of rain, maybe thundershowers, High around 90 and wind out of the south at 10 to 15 MPH. We’ll watch the weather map for you, OK.
On the Calendar:
- Monday: In Coral Bay, The parade and festivities begin at 10 AM.
- Judy Gomez’s SPARKS youth group is holding a recruitment party on Monday at the Legislature Front Yard at 5:30
- St. Thomas East End Lions has postponed the fun day at Smut Richards Ballpark We’ll keep you posted.
- Central HS Parents emergency PTA meeting is on Thursday not today
- St.Croix Adult Education registration is going on now. Register between 9 AM and 4 PM 778-2216
- This week is Virgin Islands Victory Partnership Week to commemorate the work of the Partnership in its battle against tobacco, alcohol and drug abuse in the Virgin Islands.
- There is a banquet on Saturday evening at Cormorant Beach Club at 6 PM.
Joyce B. George of St. Thomas is the best of the best in the Mary Kay business. She was cited at a recent annual convention of Mary Kay sales people in Dallas and given the Circle of Excellence Award.