US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
The Audit of the Senate is Saving Money
The Audit report on the Senate is provoking action. That’s what audits are supposed to do. Senate President Liburd says the senate is implementing the recommendations in the audit report. These actions should reduce the senate budget below the current 15 million dollars. One of the most important steps is to take advantage of the video teleconference room instead of flying back and forth. The audit calls for more computerization of the office work too.
J. Antonio Jarvis – True Hero
The Governor had high praise for J. Antonio Jarvis at a special celebration last week in his honor. Addressing the alumni and students of Jarvis school, the Governor said that Jarvis was a true Virgin Islands Hero. He was a educator, historian, author, philosopher, journalist, editor, artist, musician and public servant. The Governor, a Jarvis school graduate, called upon the graduates to contribute to the Jarvis school in its current fund raising drive.
Maybe it is Destiny
We have a mega ship coming. The Carnival Cruise Line’s Destiny is coming to St. Croix on Wednesday on its maiden voyage. The ship carries 3,600 passengers and 1,800 crew, 5,400 people on a ship and they are all coming to Fredreksted each Wednesday evening for Harbor Night. The ship is sold out for the next five months.
Rate Sheet Out
Dept. of Tourism has the 1997 rate sheet out. This years edition includes lots of photos, all hotel descriptions and rates. And there is good news from the hotels. Bolongo Bay Beach Club says they are going to offer their summer rate all winter long. Wyndham Sugar Bay is also offering rate deals with special package deals To get a copy call 800-372-USVI
Grants for Creative Teachers
There’s good news from the education department. There are some new grants available to teachers using creative ways to solve real world problems. Write a short lesson plan that shows creativity in the classroom. The best ideas will be published in a book. Oh, yes, and the education department career ladder program is still in effect. Teachers who want to take spring classes at UVI must request approval by Dec 20th.
- Attention seniors, there is a program for you today at the Frenchtown Community Center at 11:00 AM, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sigma Theta Omega Chapter has the 6th annual Thanksgiving for seniors. Call 777-8651
- Baha’I Community is celebrating the Day of the Covenant at the home of Julie Armbruster at 7:00 PM
- CAHS Band Boosters are meeting at 5:30 PM at the music suite. They are sponsoring the Shop Til You Drop Raffle.
- UVI Cooperative Extension is offering a class today on the application of pesticides 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM and again tomorrow (Wednesday) from 9:30AM to noon and again Wednesday from 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM
- All Carnival Queens are asked to contact Eunice Duggins before Dec 15th 776-4985
Finally this: The 1997 Carnival Calendar is out and it is chock full of activities. The first event is scheduled for April 5th and festivities continue through April 26th. J’Ouvert is Thursday April 24th and everything culminates with the adult parade on Saturday April 26th with fireworks that evening. Start planning now.