US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
Brought to you by: Murphy’s Auto Parts, B&P Market, Island Block, Value Furniture and Discount Travel. Wherever you are planning to go, your travel dollar takes you further at Discount Travel. And Cobex Internet bringing the world of information to the Virgin Islands.
OK, Place Your Bets – Will Michael Jackson Open a Casino?
St. Croix was rocking yesterday with the visit of Michael Jackson, the King of Pop who is reported to be considering building a multi-million dollar casino, hotel and theme park on St. Croix. Jackson’s world fame is sure to raise the stature of St. Croix Casinos but for now it is just a wager.
Today’s Photo: King Reg – Off duty with one of his “subjects”
Current Conditions in Paradise:
Temperature: 83 Degrees at 2 PM
Skies: Sunny, Occasional Cloud
Chance of Showers: Slight to 10%:
Water Temp: Perfect
Beach and Swimming Conditions: Perfect
Sailing and Diving Conditions: World Class!
Drinks: Ready for You!
Governor Made Honorary Rotarian
Governor Schneider was named a Paul Harris Fellow, the highest honor in Rotary International – it was part of the Governors appearance at the regional conference of Rotary International going on At Marriott’s Frenchman’s Reef this week. The Governor commended Rotary for its volunteerism and involvement with the community.
Employment is Steady
The Dept. of Labor has just put out employment rates for February and March. Our employment is steady. There was a tiny drop in St. Croix – one tenth of one percent but on St. Thomas and St. John, employment was stable. This is the fourth month of stable employment in the Virgin Islands.
Democrats Win Posts Back
The Democratic Party’s Credentials committee issued a temporary ruling that will reinstate the ousted members of the Party leadership. The action clears the way for Marise James and Marilyn Stapleton to represent the Virgin Islands in the party’s activities this week. This is not over, the party sent a fact finder to the Virgin Islands to report back before the next credentials committee meeting in September.
Tax Refunds are coming.
The Bureau of Internal Revenue announced that they will begin to send schedules to the Dept. of Finance to pay 1997 income tax refunds next week and they will continue to pay 1996 tax refunds as well.
Lovers Lane Project is Back
Dept. of Public Works says they have a Coastal Zone Management permit to return to work on the Lovers Lane project. This is a 1.8 million dollar federal highway project that will bring needed safety improvement to the intersection. There is 7 months of construction which should be complete by December. Since it is all outside the right of way this project is convenient to all of us.
Eulalie Riviera School On Line
The faculty and students of the Eulalie Riviera School are pleased to announce that they are making use of the World Wide Web and the Internet from their computers through the Virgin Islands new ETAN, Educational Territorial Wide Area network. You can send them mail at email@example.com
- Tonight on We the People, Andre’s Guest will be taking your calls on open lines at 774-1340
- WTJX will rebroadcast the Children’s parade on Saturday at 6:00 PM – the adult parade May 16th at 6:00 PM
- Elskoe and Association meeting at Mrs Elskoe’s home at 7:00 PM
- 5:30 PM – We From Upstreet meeting at Cultural Heritage Institute 774-4821.
- Today is the deadline to enter the Congressional Art Competition. 774-5984
- Senior Citizen free Identification cards are at Four Winds Plaza from 10:00 AM to 1:30 PM
- 7:30 PM – Women Aglow Night Chapter will meet May 8th at 7:30 PM at Palm Count Harborview – All women are invited.
- 5:30 PM – Young Republicans meet at Chart House
- 6:00 PM – Poetry and Conversations at L’Hotel Boynes at 6:00 PM – brought to you by the UVI Humanities Division.
- 7:30 PM Wesleyan Academy PTA presents the 11th annual Ruth Ann Jarvis Concert at the First Wesleyan Holiness Church in Contant. $6.
- Coming Up Tomorrow: – Starfest at the Reichhold Center for the Performing Arts Saturday Sunday and Monday