US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
The Modular Classrooms are on Schedule
The modular classrooms are on time and on schedule. Education department engineer Brian Turnbull says “all the plans are in place and based on the schedule, we fully expect schools will be ready for the upcoming semester”. In subbase another load of modular classrooms have been moved into the staging area.
The King goes to the Miss Universe Contest
William “Champagne” Chandler is going to Las Vegas to go to the Miss Universe contest. He’s going to cheer for St. Thomas born Linette Smith in the competition for the Miss Universe Crown where she represents the British Virgin Islands.
Airline Out – Airline In
One airline flies out, and another flies in. Dolphin is gone, but Coastal Air is filling the void. Coastal is offering service between St. Thomas and St. Croix during the rush hours. Their introductory airfare will be $39 in either direction through May 23rd. They may even hire back Dolphin’s staff.
Summer Jobs At VIHA
Virgin Islands Housing Authority is accepting applications for the summer youth employment program. This is a program to give job experience to students who are past the 9th grade up through college students. Call 775-2741 on St. Thomas or 773-3225 on St. Croix.
Drivers License photograph machine back
The Drivers License photograph machine is back on St. Thomas and as of today the police can make driver’s licenses again. The Police thanks you for your patience while they have not been able to produce drivers licenses.
What is the new motto of the Industrial Development Corporation? “Business Forecast is Sunny and Bright.” They have that phrase on an aquamarine brochure, to encourage businesses to relocate to the US Virgin Islands.
- The Senate is holding hearings this evening at 6PM to follow up on the fumes from Bovoni Landfill.
- Senior Citizen Day at Police Headquarters at 11 AM.
- UVI is hosting a lecturer from Amherst Massachusetts to talk about the AIDS epidemic from noon at the Business building UVI Campus.
- Addelita Cancryn Junior High School PTA is meeting on Tuesday at 5:30 in the library for report card distribution.
- UVI Cooperative Extension has a class on the proper application of pesticides at the UVI Research and Extension Center 778-9491
- Plumbers Association Tuesday the 14th at 5:30 at Petite Pump Room.
- The Women’s Resource Center is looking for volunteers to take a course in counseling on Sat May 25 and become a volunteer in the Women’s Resource Center.
Tourism Week Slogan
Finally this: the National Tourism Week Slogan contest winner has been chosen. The slogan came from 13 year old Michael Daniel Turnbull a 9th grader at Weselyan Academy. He coined the phrase, “The Virgin Islands: Three reasons to love us!” Now you’ll see it everywhere. That’s Michael Turnbull’s good news.