US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
Governor Schneider Says Extend Frederiksted Pier
The Governor met with Port Authority authorities to discuss extensions of the Pier and the idea of a cruise ship passenger lounge in the that city. Holland America Cruise line is interested in home porting in Frederiksted but needs passenger facilities and more room at the pier. There are two proposals to build passenger facilities in Frederiksted.
Current Conditions in Paradise:
Temperature: 84 Degrees Water Temp: 72 Degrees Skies: Crystal Clear, Occasional Cloud Chance of Rain: 20%: Beach and Swimming : Perfect Sailing and Diving : Perfect Drinks: Ready Good News Headlines is brought to you this morning by: Advance Office Supplies, Red Hook Family Practice, Style Right Tailors, Island Block, Where it is all in stock, Quick Pic^“s, Discount Travel. Wherever you are planning to go, your travel dollar takes you further at Discount travel. And Cobex Internet bringing the world of information to the Virgin Islands.
The Fortuna Multi-purpose Center Will Open
The Bordeaux-Fortuna Multi-Service Center will be dedicated today at 10:00 AM. You are invited to come to the dedication. This new facility will consolidate fire, police and ambulance services under one roof and close to the people of the west end. The Governor will speak along with three commissioners, Ramona Davila of the Police, Jose Poblete of Health and Carlton Dowe of the Fire Service.
VITEMA Learns About Blue Skies
As we being to prepared for hurricane season, the folks at VITEMA are learning new techniques for insuring safety and security. The federal government will soon discontinue paying for disasters and it makes sense to build stronger homes that are storm resistant. It is all about stronger windows, hurricane clips tying the whole building together and other mitigation techniques.
Casino Control Commission Calling
The Casino Control commission is conducting a telephone survey to determine the availability of people interested in seeking employment in the casino hotel industry. The law says casinos must make efforts to employ local Virgin Islanders. The phone survey will run from June 30th through July 25th.
Governor Schneider Calls Another Special Session
Governor Schneider is calling the Senate into another special session to consider bills to alleviate the tax shortfall. The Governor says we need to provide tax payers with options. Senate President Lorraine Berry called the governors proposal a land grab.. She says the Governor was not following the proper procedures for introducing legislation. Meanwhile the tax payers watch this dance of the titans wondering why we conduct the people business with so much hostile talk.
National Park Service has Draft for Comment
The National Park Service is asking for public comment on their draft environmental assessment of a plan to consolidate the Visitor Services and the Administrative Functions of the Virgin Islands National Park. Copies are available in Red Hook and Cruz Bay at the Park Service or by calling 775-6238
More Ships Coming
There may not be any cruise ships in the port, but there are more Navy ships coming to St. Thomas. June 24 will see a Coast Guard Cutter come to Crown Bay with a crew of 71 and a Dutch Frigate is due in July with 191 on board.
- J. Antonio Jarvis School summer delight camp is June 23 to Aug 1st $250 is the cost for the whole program. Across from Bulby. 774-3570.
- Taking applications today at the site The CAHS Class of 1964 is holding a food sale in the Fort Christian Parking Lot at 11:00 AM –
- And at Noon – Pee Wee Baseball League kicks off the sixth season with a parade and opening ceremonies at Al McBean Park. There are 9 La Leche teams and 13 Pee Wee League teams.
- This is the last night at Barnacle Bills Restaurant they are asking every musician in the Virgin Islands to come drink the bar dry.
- Stunts and Twirlers have practice Saturday at 3:00 PM – and parents meet at 4:00 PM -at Charlotte Amalie High School St. John Community Foundation needs volunteers to help with the Children^“s Carnival to operate the games and run booths. If you can help between 6:00 PM – and 10:00 PM – between June 28th and July 3rd, call Lonnie at 693-8590