US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
GUNS LICENSE FEES COST MORE – FUNDING FOR FIRST TIME JOBS.
There is a new law on the books that raises the fees gun owners have to pay to license their weapons. The fees will be used to help young people get their first jobs. Despite complaints that the guns fees are high, and could drive some gun owners to NOT license their weapons, many think that the new fees are appropriate and will help the young people start their careers.
Water Island Land Costs
Congressman Frazier reports that the Dept. of Interior has made progress on the transfer of Water Island. Sublease holders will be able to purchase their land for $17,500 per acre. He expects the island transfer to be completed this year. The Government of the Virgin Islands will become the owner of all the non-leased land on Water Island.
Reichhold Center gets funds
Reichhold Center is the Arts got a boost as Ms Happy Jones and Professor of Engineering Fred Terry made a contribution of stock in a pharmaceutical company to the Center. The shares are worth more than $6,000. Jones said the Center does so much for the community and she wanted to help the community. The shares of stock came from her grandafather, who was a banker who helped start the pharmaceutical company. David Edgecomb, the Reichhold Center Director said they depend on this kind of generosity as donations becoem more and more crucial.
Al McBean – Clean up Group
Housing Parks and Recreation says the Al McBean Ball Park will get a facelift, just as soon as they get federal funds. In the meantime, local residents have formed the Clean Sweep Committee to clean up and fix up the ball park. The group is asking for your support. They are meeting June 12th at 6 PM and will do the clean up the following Saturday and Sunday.
The Health Commissioner reminds you that if you plan to travel you may need immunizations. While shots are not necessary for European or North American Destinations, if you are going to more exotic places, better check what shots you might need. In St. Thomas the immunization clinic is at Schneider hospital, on St. Croix its at Charles Harwood Complex and St. John it is the Myrah Keating Health Center.
Our America’s Cup race team needs a logo. Artists of every age are invited to submit art work for an America’s Cup race logo. The logo should capture the rousing spirit of the Virgin Islands challenge and the excitement of America’s Cup racing. Deadline in June 17th. Call Denise Krug at 693-1402. There is a contest blank in today’s Daily News.
Books for Kids
75 young readers at Ulla Muller School got personalized books in a special presentation yesterday with Senator Judy Gomez. LeaSan Publications produced the books for the kids and each book had the child’s name included in the story. And at the Gomez school, Mrs Hubert’s 4th grade class did some fund raising to put more books in the library after the Hurricane Marilyn destroyed them all. Hats off to the Gomez school 4th graders and keep it up.
- Addelita Cancaryn Junior High School last PTA meeting today at 5:30 at the library
- Virgin Islands Toastmasters 4040U meeting at Petite Pump Room at 5:30
- Ivanna Eudora Kean School Awards Night at 7 PM at the cafeteria. IEK Class of 87 is meeting at 7 PM at McDonalds in Tutu Park Mall.
- St. Thomas East Lions are meeting at Anna’s retreat Senior Center at 6 PM. Wear your vest!
- Sts Peter and Paul pewter and Paul Class of 71 is meeting at Windward Passage at 6 PM, No meeting on Thursday rather you are going to graduation at the Reichhold Center for the Performing Arts at 4 PM
- Tomorrow: St. Croix Federation of Teachers is meeting at 4 PM in Midland Restaurant on a whole range of issues.
- Senator Petrus is concerned with child abuse and neglect. Petrus is calling public hearings on Thursday June 6th at 10 am in the Legislature building in STT.
- Hug a Bunch is meeting Thursday at 5:30 at Bellows International
- Arts After Dark will feature Maya Angelou 101, a primer course in the arts of Mya Angelou. That’s At Alexander’s Coffee Show in frenchtown at 5:30 to 7:30 and it is free.
Basketball Needs Places for Kids to Stay
Dober Elementary is hosting 5 basketball tams for a tournament. The school is looking for housing for the kids and for transportation. If you can help the kids with some beds, the dates are June 16th to June 20th. Call Mr. Beazer at 774-5874 You can help make good news for the kids basketball tournament.