US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
Housing Police have a Handful of finalists.
It started out as a group of 650 hopefuls. They had heard about jobs with the housing police and wanted the work. After the first round of exams 260 made the cut. Then they winnowed the group down to 58 who are ready to enter the academy for rigorous training. The object is to create a force of 30 officers who can be pro-active and smart about their work.
185 Contractors at Conference
The DBE Conference at Frenchman’s Reef is rolling that’s the one about how local small contractors can participate in major federal highways projects. Nearly 300 contractors signed up 185 of them are local island businesses. The conference continues through Wednesday when there is a session open to the public. That’s Wednesday at 1:45 in the afternoon.
The Senate is meeting today at the Senate Chambers St. Thomas. Among the topics, Police selling unclaimed property, conferring honors on a variety of people, the Fredriksted – Christiansted Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Act, and the Bill to change the rules on gun ownership.
Student Art in French Museum
Some of our kids art work is going to Lille France to a museum. It is part of a US exhibit of children’s art that is going to be on display all summer in France, then go to the French Art Museum. Students in Phoebe Schwarts’ art class at the Berthe Boschulte School now have their creations in the museum.
Mr Beazer called to thank Senators Berry, Liburd, Petrus and White for finding housing for the teams in the elementary basketball tournament. 20 teams are here competing.
St. John Festival
St. John Festival and parade applications are available at Fred’s Bar and Restaurant and on St. Thomas at Ken Daniel’s Variety Store. Tickets for the Miss St. John competition are available St John Drug Center. International Record Store and Elegance 2.
On the Calendar:
- CAHS Class of ’95 is meeting at the High School cafeteria today at 5:30
- There is still room for you in the Diet and Health Program. It is free and it will help parents and grandparents feed the kids better. Call 693-1072.
- On Wednesday DCLA Commissioner Vera Falu is holding a town meeting for the Hispanic community in St. Croix. All Hispanic entrepreneurs and business owners are urged to attend. That’s tomorrow at Villa Morales Rest.
- The Virgin Islands Cultural Heritage Institute is planning a Folklife festival this August. Come to Cultural Heritage Institute Wednesday. Call 774-9540
- American Red Cross St. Thomas/St. John has a Disaster Training Institute concerning Shelter Operations, Communications, Health Services Starts Saturday June 22 to Friday 28. 774-0375.
You already know the bad news, This is to remind you that the good news is: Seat belts save lives. Look right now, is your seat belt fastened?