US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
The Hotel Business is Getting Better
Grand Palazzo is about to change hands to the Marriott Corporation according to the Daily News. The new management could be the Ritz-Carleton which will keep the Grand Palazzo at the top of the luxury list. Caneel Bay resort is recalling 277 employees over the summer to reopen October 1.
The Navy is visiting. There is a visiting Navy ship oin Crown Bay and there is a visiting frigate in Cruz Bay St John. It may not be the Norway or a mega cruise ship, but every visitor is welcome in the USVI.
We said last week that Al McBean Ball Park needs a clean up. Housing Parks and recreation says the ball park will get a facelift, clanup and new facilities, just as soon as the federal funds are secures for the task. We’ll keep you posted as we make progress.
America’s Cup Logo
We have a team entering the America’s Cup race and they need a logo. All artists of every age are invited to submit art work for an America’s Cup race logo. The logo should capture the spirit of the Virgin Islands challenge and the excitement of America’s Cup racing. Deadline in June 17th. Daily News has info.
Senator Petrus is concerned with child abuse and neglect. Petrus is calling public hearings on Thursday June 6th at 10 am in the Legislature building in STT. Are our contractors frozen out of big contracts? Sen Bellardo De O’Neal is scheduling public hearings on Wed June 12th at the Legislative room in Frederikstead and on June 18th in St. Thomas
The Internal revenue Board said today that they expect to process refund checks this month, that is if they get the Federal funds they need.
Department of Planning and Natural Resources reminds you that this month is boat registration month. The registry is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from, 9:30 to 1:30 above the west amrine building in Frrenchtown and on St. John in the old hilltop building. St. Thomas 776-8600 St. John 693-8061
Congressman Frazier say the governor hiring of an aide in Washington DC is no slap at the delegate. He sees no wedge between them, rather Frazer welcomes the new representative and reminds everyone that most state governors have representatives in Washington and so do many big city mayors.
- Plumbers Assoc at Petite Pump Room at 5:30 ( Horse Racing Association is meeting at 6 PM in the Subbase office of Housing Parks and recreations.
- Tonight there is a wellness preview at Windward Passage at 7 PM for one hour where you can see preventive Japanese wellness products.
- Baha’i Feast of Nur is taking place this evening at the Harmer’s home with Mr Tod Ewing of Columbia SC attending to represent the Continental Board of Counselors. All Baha’i are invited. 776-7876
- Dept of Ed has a summer program for boys in grades 4-6 Call 777-8344
- Vocational school at the St. Croix Education Complex is holding its first Certification Awards Program
- St. Thomas Lions Club is meeting on Wednesday at American Legion Hall in Subbase at 7PM
Father’s Day Fishing
The Father’s Day fishing tournament is coming up on Sunday June 9th. Every angler is invited and the prizes this year are three days in Nevis, from Bon Voyage Travel and American Airlines or a 30 HP outboard courtsey of Off Shore Marine. You can fish from 5 AM until 11:30 and all fish must be weighed by noon. Good news for fishermen, bad news for the fish