US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
The Labor Department Got a BIG Grant
The Dept of Labor announced that they had received a grant from the federal government in the amount of $1.4 million. The grant is a Wagner Peyser grant and will be used for job search and placement services applicant assessment and referral counseling.
Our police are getting some special training to work more effectively in our schools. The Police trainers are from the Univ. of Northern Florida and the topics are about identifying drug abuse, child abuse, gangs and how to do investigations. It’s not all hard crime stuff, though. The police learning how to interact positively with the kids, how young people learn and how to make lesson plans for anti-crime lessons.
St. Kitts/Nevis Separation?
Are Nevis and St. Kitts going to separate. There is legislation in the works in the legal department to separate the islands. The premier of Nevis see it as an unbalanced relationship. The shock waves of separation could move more islands to assert their individual independence. We’ll keep you posted.
Wrech is Gone
Veterans beach in St. Croix is a lot nicer to look at today after Dept. Planning and Natural resources got the wreck of the motor boat Robin off the beach. The eyesore has been there since Hurricane Marilyn. DPNR. said today they will get all the wrecks, but remind owners that the owners must pay the cost of removal. See better looking beaches coming.
The Virgin Islands Calypso Association has a Switch-a-Roo competition where each performer has to sing another’s songs. Leslie Milliner is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the L&C Millener business. The Switch-A Roo Calypso contest is on St. John July 3 at Fred’s Bar and restaurant.
On Today’s Calendar:
- Contractors working for the Dept. of Education you are meeting at 1 PM at Dept. of Education Video Conference room
- Nevis Benevolent Society tonight at Hair so New at 7 PM
- East Lions are holding their awards night at 7:30 at Anna’s Retreat Senior Center.
- Class of 89 CAHS will meet at 5:30 at Hard Rock Cafe.
- Frank Powell Village is opening on St. John with a Ceremony at 7 PM in Cruz Bay
- St. John car care clinic is this weekend at O’Connor Car Rental Cruz Bay
- The elementary school Summer Fest is on Channel 12 tonight at 7 PM.
- Voter registration is tomorrow from 11 to 2 PM at 22 Crystal Gade
- Sunday it’s the Walk-a-thon for St. Thomas rescue starting at 6:30 AM 2.5 miles to Brewers Bay
- Coast Guard Auxiliary boat safety and navigation. The Classes are Monday and Thursday for 4 weeks. Sign up on Monday at the downtown Coast Guard building.
Look Good, Taste Good
Now we are lookin’ good in a food magazine. Gourmet Magazine ran a six page spread about St. John calling St. John the jewel in the crown. They highlighted the island as a place where nature is undisturbed. They called St. John one of the best in the world.