US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
Friday is Christmas in July in downtown.
The shops are open and there is music, and frivolity. The Mocko Jumbie Jamboree is going to be part of the entertainment so is Rising Stars, Imaginations Brass Echo People, Merry makers and Caribbean Bell Choir .
The Virgin Islands Port Authority
has rescinded a rent increase so the 66% rent increase will not go into effect. Mel Plasket, of the Business Journal was the leader of the effort to get the rent roll back approved by the Port Authority Board.
Red Cross Fields 87 Calls for Help
Red Cross says they’ve made 755 outreach calls on houses and families in need of help. The hot line has taken 87 calls and so far they have provided 2,800 meals to people whose kitchens were damaged. If you need help call 714-1015. If you want to help call 800-HELP NOW
Stell Orchestra To Travel to New Orleans.
The Housing Authority Steel Orchestra is going to New Orleans to perform for the National association of Housing and redevelopment Authorities Summer Conference. The band had to raise over $4000 to cover some of the costs and they will tour the New Orleans area after performing for the meeting and a housing complex in that city.
The Labor department has Disaster Unemployment Assistance available If you lost your job due to this last storm. You have only 30 days to file for assistance after this notice is published. Do it today.
Finance Committee Questions
At the finance committee they have decided to rescind the lease for the St. Thomas Livestock Association to help settle the dispute over the 109 acres of farm land in Bordeaux. Also the Virgin Islands public television says their budgeted 1.4 million won’t pay the bills. They need 1.7 million to develop the new technology and extend the reach of public television in St. Croix
Texaco Olympics Sweepstakes is today. Go to Texaco between 5 and 6 PM, for free Pepsi and free oil for the first 25 people to come into each Texaco station and a chance for a trip to Las Vegas when you visit Texaco.
On the Calendar:
- Rotary Club One will resume meetings at Frenchman’s Reef on July 18th at noon The new Board of Directors will be installed.
- CAHS Class of 47 is meeting at Windward Passage at 5:30
- Friday is Christmas in July in downtown. The shops are open and there is music, and frivolity. The Mocko Jumbie Jamboree is going to be part of the entertainment so is Rising Stars, Imaginations Brass Echo People, Merry makers and Caribbean Bell Choir .
- The Symposium for Women coming up on Monday. Dr Joycelin Messiah of Barbados and nine other women will be presenting information. The donation small to reach out to all women to help them confront the profound issues of our time. That’s Monday at Frenchman’s Reef at 8:30
- The League of Women Voters luncheon has been rescheduled for Tuesday the 23rd and the topic will be the expansion of the highway project. You need reservations call 776-9357
Remember I told you to write an essay for the Conde Nast Essay contest, Well, we have a winner. St. Croix Student Christopher Combie won the local competition among 87 essay writers in the Virgin Islands. He is going to Barbados in September for the big competition among 22 essay contest winners in their countries.