US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
Funds for Advertising and Police
The Governors signed a bill into law that authorizes use of 100% of the hotel tax for tourism advertising. The bill provides for a half million dollars for new police officers, two police car mechanics and a police motor pool.
Antilles Gas Gets Grant
The US Attorney received a grant of nearly $75,000 for training police and the community in the new techniques of community based police patrolling. The funds will sponsor seminars, focus groups and training for the police in communication skills.
St. John Gets own Chiefs
Governor Schneider promoted two local officials in St. John. Angelo Hill is the new assistant commissioner for police and Sidney Challenger is the St. John Fire Chief. This is the first time in recent history that St. John has its own fire chief and police commissioner.
Trescom International is so successful in offering long distance service that it is making an initial public offering of stock in the company. TresCom sold over 4 million shares at $12 each on the NASDAQ stock exchange.
USO Building Ready
The Navy is coming and the USO building will be ready. Bob Beal and CSBI adopted the building and put the workers, materials and money on the job to get the building ready by the Navy’s arrival Monday
WAPA Saves Heat & Money
WAPA is going to spend some money to save some money. They are spending about 1.5 million dollars to complete the waste heat boiler which will help reduce the cost of power in he Virgin Islands. WAPA is also reducing the number of company cars to reduce costs.
- Lockhart Elementary PTA is meeting tonight at 6 PM.
- Ivanna Eudora Kean School Alumni are meeting this evening at 6 in the school library to plan events for Alumni month.
- Voter Registration is being held Saturday at 22 Crystal Gade from 10 to 1 PM.
- MSI Construction is calling for entries in the Calypso of the Year Competition. The winner gets a free trip to Trinidad. The deadline is April 10th.
- Veterans have town a meeting on Sunday at the St. Thomas American Legion Hall at 1 PM.
- Alien documentation assistance is being performed in the food stamp building located at the A-Q Building 774-2399
The MathCounts Winners are in, Jelani Nelson of All Saints is the top Mathlete and All Saints had three students in the top 10. The next round will be held on March 14th at the St. Croix Curriculum Center.