US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
Mustang Award to Nick Pourzal
Marriott Hotels has awarded Nick Pourzal of Frenchman’s reef hotel their Mustang Award for his outstanding achievements Nick, led the Hotel to a banner year while managing renovation and reconstruction. Marriotts says Nick made Frenchman’s Reef the best running facility on the island, bar none.
The finance committee is meeting today. The agenda includes consideration of an appropriation for a fence at the Evelyn Williams School, and law to require the legislature to advertise all available positions for work and a bill to authorize 15 million dollars for a hotel casio for “Native Virgin Islanders”
If you are a bone fide resident with an off-island income need to get form 1040Info from the Bureau of Internal Revenue so you can file your correct tax return.
Virgin Islands Victory Partnership is seeking proposals from non-profit groups for community based alcohol, tobacco and drug prevention programs. Grants are from 500 to 5000 proposals are due March 8. Call Annette Jacobs at 773-9900 Ext 119
- ST Thomas Hospital is presenting its 4th annual biomedical ethics workshop this week at the Hospital Conference room from 10 AM til noon each day.
- CAHS PTSA is meeting tonight at 5:30 in the auditorium.
- Hug A Bunch is meeting at 5:30 at Bellows. This is the last chance to get measurements for your headpieces and costumes. Last Chance!
- The health van is at K-mart today from 9 to 2 for all medical testing including dental.
- East End Lions are meeting today at 7 PM at the Lion’s den.
- The St. Thomas Foster and Adopting Parents Association is meeting today at 5:30 at the Dept. of Human Services in the Spenceley building.
DO we have a Crime Problem?
Finally this: Serious Crime was down in 1995. The headlines would make you think we have a crime problem. The fact is 1995 had 42 % less homicide than 1994. Rapes were at the lowest level in three years. Robbery; down 25 %. What about crimes against visitors – Of the half million visitors point 0012 percent were crime victims. How does our crime rate compare to a typical city, our size, in the northeast? We had 21 homicides – that’s about two a month. Fitchburg Massachusetts, a city that is St. Thomas’s size had two a day. When someone says we have a crime problem, thll them not to worry about the splinter in our eye. Let them worry about the log in their own eye.