US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
Brought to you by: Advance Office Supplies, Red Hook Family Practice, Island Block, Quick Pic’s, and Discount Travel. Wherever you are planning to go, your travel dollar takes you further at Discount Travel. And Cobex Internet bringing the world of information to the Virgin Islands.
Property and Procurement Seeks Waste Plan.
It happens step by step and there is progress every day. Today Property and Procurement held a meeting to qualify contractors who will bid to construct a state-of-the-art solid waste processing plant. While we still have problems at Bovoni, there is progress Alicia Barnes says that the project will now move along more quickly and within 5 years the old landfills will be history.
Current Conditions in Paradise:
Skies: Sunny, Occasional CloudChance of Showers: 20%:Water Temp: PerfectBeach and Swimming Conditions: PerfectSailing and Diving Conditions: PerfectDrinks: Ready
Senate Session Today
The Senate is meeting right now regarding the proposed contract between the government and the Seafarers Union. They are facing the problem of a shrinking budget and a contract that includes increases. They are looking at the costs to approve that contract now.
Will the FSC Law Change?
The European Union has filed a complaint with the World Trade Organization saying the American Foreign Sales Corporation Law is not fair. The Virgin Islands hosts 66% of all Foreign Sales Corporation’s in America so any change to the law could hurt us economically. The Department of State thinks our law complies with the World Trade Organization rules.
FCCA Making Good News
The Florida Caribbean Cruise Association is making good news at Christmas time. They are making donations of toys and gifts to children in orphanages in 16 Caribbean locations. Led by Royal Caribbean International, each cruise company will take an island and serve the local community. In St. Thomas, Holland America Line will be distributing Christmas gifts to local children.
Hurricane Season is Officially Over
You may not have noticed it going by, but this past Sunday was the last day of the official hurricane season. There were only three real Hurricanes this season and they didn’t visit the Virgin Islands. El Nino, the hot water flow in the Pacific is credited with making conditions that were not favorable to hurricane development. That Hurricane Season is over and that is good news.
- Happy Birthday to Mario Frances of the Lockhart PTA, Parent Executive Council and the Environmental Association. Mario is a good news maker and today is his birthday.
- Tuesday is Volunteer Orientation Day at the Women’s Resource Center the public is invited to donate time to help families in need. Holiday donations are cheerfully accepted, canned goods, toys and donations are welcome
- Jarvis School will be closed on today at 12:30 PM – for teacher’s in-service workshop.
- Time to get your Emanuel Benjamin Oliver Band Booster Calendar. All Chase banks will have them on on Thursday and Friday and Saturday at Tutu Park Mall on December 6th. Or you can get a copy at the Emanuel Benjamin Oliver school. 775-2000.
- Pearls Come Out Did you hear about the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Cotillion? 275 family and friends came out to see the formal presentation of a dozen “Pearls.” The “Pearls” have completed a ten week training and development program. The Pearls include, Nicole Barry, Kishma Burns, Nicole Douglas, Vida Finch, Tonica Freeman, Julice Harley, Magen Jennings, Capathia Rey, Malika Nesbitt, Tafara Smith, and Sadio Thomas.
Water Island Report
Tuesday shine, surf and gentle breezes. You want news too?On Water Island we consider ourselves the keepers of the Good news Yardstick. If no news is good news, then Water Island is the home of the best news. we never have any news. So this is the yardstick against which all others will be measured.It’s your Good News! You tell us and we’ll tell everyone.