US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
Good News for Boys and Girls Clubs
You can help make good news for the Boys and Girl’s Clubs of the Virgin Islands. Pepsi and Pueblo have announced that they will donate part of all proceeds this winter to our Boys and Girls Clubs. Now there is a a double benefit when you get Pepsi at Pueblo.
Water Island Welcome
Water Island joined the Territory yesterday and last evening the Governor hosted the residents at a Government House welcoming party. There’s more Water Island transfer celebration today. There’s a parade from Market Square to Emancipation Garden. Participants are to be in place by 5:00 PM. The parade begins at 6:00 PM And please keep the parade route clear of parked cars.
Council Of State Governments Meeting Here.
The Council of State Governments is meeting today at Frenchman’s Reef. The three day conference brings together state government officials from all over America. Senate President Almando Rocky Liburd is hosting the group and they are all going on a tour of St. John before the conference is over.
The Governor’s a Cover Guy
What’s this, the Governor a cover Guy? It’s true, Travel Agent Magazine put our Governor on the cover of its latest issue with a message saying “They’re Your Islands.” The Governor is telling the travel Agents that we are back, we’re better and that travel clients can come back to St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix
No to Nukes
The Governor and Senator Donastorg are calling on President Clinton to declare the Virgin Islands a Nuclear Free Zone which would keep nuclear waste from passing near here, forever.
Gem Help for Buyers
Vera Falu of Consumer Affairs has engaged Robert James of the Caribbean Gemeological Institute to assist visitors who have problems with jewelry or gemstones purchased here. There have been complaints in the news and this is one way to help resolve disputes.
Camile Pissaro was born here and rose to fame in France with his impressionist paintings. Now a display of his work is coming home for us to see. The Pissarro exhibit opens on Sunday and it is international news. Some of the paintings are on display for the first time ever and art enthusiasts are coming here to see them. The exhibit is at the Lilienfeld House through March 14th and it is open every day. Call 774-4312 to arrange a group tour.
- East End Lions Christmas Tree lighting is at Four Winds Plaza at 5
- We From Upstreet meeting at 5:30 PM to plan the Roosevelt Park Christmas Program
- Addelita Cancaryn distributes progress reports today, their Guavaberry Christmas concert is Sunday at 3 at CAHS auditorium
- Women Aglow Night Chapter is meeting at 7:30 PM at Emerald Beach Hotel. (8)
- Committee to Revive Our Culture has its annual Christmas Fair on Saturday at Emancipation Garden at 9:00 AM You’ll enjoy artisans, cooks, the St. Croix Heritage Dancers, Joseph Gomez Machislan Bamboula Dancers, Milo and the Kings, Traditional Mocko Jumbies, The Julius Sprauve Quadrille Dancers and your MC, Irvin Brownie Brown.
- Tomorrow: Plant sale and Flea Market all day at the home of Georgia Francis and Eulalie Lopez 14-6 Estate Thomas. Come support Lope’.
- They are opening the Ritz tomorrow at 10 with a quick ribbon cutting ceremony.
- And the Good News Guy will be at Education Station with lots of give aways and balloons for the kids. Come say hi to the Good News Guy at Education Station.
The Comet Hale Bopp is visible binoculars this evening just to the right of the bright western star which is Jupiter. Tonight is also the annual Geminids meteor shower. It should be visible all night, you may see as many as 90 meteors an hour and some could be large fire balls. If you want help at 8PM at Scott Beach For the Birds EAST is the sponsor and they have the largest telescope in the Caribbean to look at Hale Bopp and other good star sights.