US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
The Governor has BIG plans for the Federal Funds
The Governor laid out his plans for the coming federal funds yesterday. The top priority is to make biweekly payroll, then pay the vendors to whom the government owes money and repay the hospital and tourism revolving funds. The Governor said that we have complete bipartisan support in Congress as well as the support of the President.
Are you ready for parking meters? The Governor also said he was considering setting up some parking meter zones in downtown St. Thomas and St. Croix.
Safe Streets Task Force
US Attorney James Hurd announced that by May 3rd the new Safe Streets Task Force would be in full operation. This is a joint effort of the US Attorney’s office, FBI, DEA, federal Marshall’s and our own police. The task force is slated to begin by assisting the police in solving recent crimes.
Donation Center For Montserrat
The donation center for Montserrat is open at the USO building on the waterfront. The volcano was relatively calm overnight with only a few minor events and a few plumes of smoke, but no big eruption. The Governor’s plan calls for sending our Air National Guard on May 2nd and 3rd with relief supplies.
Who is on the front lines in the face of the visitors? Who gives our visitors their strongest impression of these islands. Taxi drivers, of course. Taxi operators are the ambassadors of the island. Their attitude, mood and demeanor is the showcase of our whole culture. There is a special taxi appreciation evening at 8 PM this May 3rd. There i’s free food, and all taxi drivers can come to Frenchman’s Reef to get some new ideas and assistance in earning more. The idea is to make an even better impression on taxi customers. Every driver is welcome. There are door prizes, and certificates of attendance will be awarded.
- This Saturday is the annual fund raiser for the hospital. Meeting at the waterfront at 7:30 to ride on the Kon Tiki and hear the starlights Band with food and door prizes. Call 776-7595.
- Guess who’’s coming toStarfest at the Reichhold Center? Louis Ibel Jr, King of Kings is going to perform at the Starfest celebration on May 11th and 12th.
- The Calendar shows a rehearsal for Kean High School Choraliers Choir Room at 6:30 this evening.
- The Examination to be a certified Public Accountant is coming up on May 8th and 9th at the Licensing and Consumer affairs in Subbase. Call 774-3130.
- Dr Biscoe at Pearle Vision Nisky Center has a free clinic tomorrow for any children or adults with lazy eye or crossed eyes. That’s tomorrow from 2 until 6 PM.
- Also tomorrow, the Agriculture and Food Fair Committee is meeting 5:30 Wednesday at the new house at UVI.
Virgin Islands Humanities Council
The Virgin Islands Humanities Council has mini grants of $2,000 available for projects that chronicle our philosophy of life, culture, traditions and open new public discourse on these topics. Call the Council at 776-4044
People Helping People
Finally this: There was an incident that occurred earlier this month where people came forward to Mr Mardenborough’s aid at a fast food shop on Mandela Circle. Mr Mardenborough came by to ask that we express his thanks to all who came to his aid. While the incident was disturbing to him, he said that the aid of the people , taxidrivers, friends and family made all the difference in the world. People coming to each other’s aid – that’s good news.