US Virgin Islands
[singlepic id=4817 w=180 h=40 mode=web20 float=left]Good morning! This is Alex Randall with Good News Headlines
Elskoe Troupe Wins King of the Band
The Elskoe Troupe dominated last nights King of the Band competition at Lionel Roberts Stadium. William Champagne Chandler took the crown of King of the Band for the third time in as many years. Elskoes Jr. King and Jr. Queen took their respective titles too.
Zero Tolerance for Fraud
US Attorney James Hurd said “Zero Tolerance for Fraud” Yesterday it came true. There were seven arrests of people who had filed false statements in order to get damage claims from the Small Business Administration.
Modular Classroom Update
Education Commissioner Cheek is in Evansville Georgia inspecting our modular classrooms that are being prepared for use at Berthe C. Boschulte School, Lockhart and Peace Corp schools.
Frazer Speaks on House Floor
Congressman Victor Frazer spoke on the floor of the house in support of HR 842, the truth in budgeting act, which would allow the Virgin Islands to receive more funds from the Highway Trust Fund and from the Airport and Airway Trust Funds. If the bill doesn’t pass, we stand to lose money.
No Inspection Fees
The Banking Board voted unanimously to prevent banks from assessing inspection fees for the reconstruction of homes using proceeds of insurance settlements. Lt. Gov. Kenneth Mapp said that the banks earn enough holding onto the insurance proceeds. They do not need to add inspection fees to their take.
DPW reminds you that parking in the bus pullouts in illegal and rude to all the people who use the busses. DPW is still engaged in a large scale clean up of the island. Take construction debris to the landfill, don’t put it in the roadside trash bins.
Dive Book Says we have it all
There’s a new book out that says we are the best – Dive spot – in the world. Lynn Sheldons book, diving the US Virgin Islands says that these islands have everything a diver could want.
- Delta Sigma Theta T-Shirt Pick up is this evening at 6 at the Hospital Waiting room.
- CAHS is celebrating Culture Day at various rooms starting at 9:15 to 10:45.
- The National Hurricane Center is holding a two day presentation at VITEMA on the latest forecasting techniques. We’ll have more on that.
- Church History Society 10 AM at Keans Residence, Cathrineberg. To plan for 10th anniversary.
- Saturday there’s a walk-a-thon for earth day and to stop the violence. Plan for it now. Lockhart PTA is hosting the walk-a-thon from Grand Union to Brewers Beach where there will be a festival. Meet at Grand Union at 7 AM Saturday.
- Sunshine Mall is helping celebrate Math Month by putting a display of math puzzles on display at the mall. You can come and see if you how well you do on the math quiz. They are fun too. On Saturday there are a whole set of events at Sunshine mall.
Adopt a Spot
Finally this: Does your business have an empty lot in front of your place? Is there an eyesore spot that you see every day that you’d like cleaned up. Would you like to adopt a spot and enhance it? Tyrone Martin said he will work with any business to arrange for DPW help in adopting an empty lot. You can make good news by adopting a spot. That’s you making good news for everyone.